Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Aug. 2 - Cards


No work on the barn today.  Like I mentioned yesterday, I think they're finally feeling burned out.  They're also trying to decide how they want to continue from where they're at, like which part to tackle next.  Hubby's been falling asleep at about 6pm these past couple days.  Yeah, I think they need this little break.  Hopefully momentum and ambition doesn't slide with this down time.

I went back and forth between playing a lot of Wizard101 and working in the craft room today.  Both were frustrating, which is why I was going back and forth.  I worked on one till I got pissy, then went to the other till that one pissed me off.  I think I've figured out a couple things about why I get frustrated and overwhelmed in that craft room.  It needs to be set up different.  Right now the desk is crammed so full of stuff that I have to constantly move and rearrange things every step of the way.  The shelves are behind me, which also makes it awkward whenever I need something.  My chair is just a temporary folding chair, not a swivel type desk chair, so to get anything off the shelves behind me is a pain in the butt unless I actually get up.  Sooooo, tomorrow I'll be working on rearranging things in there and trying to set up stations for different tasks, like my die cutting machine will have its own place and I'll go to that spot, instead of lugging it out and moving things on my desk like I do now.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing what I can come up with.

I also found it's quite nice to have a good selection of stamped images already colored and cut out.  I haven't been making cards lately but I've been coloring a lot of images, trying different markers and different papers, etc.  Today I spread them all out on my desk and fairly easily found some fun combinations that allowed me to make three cards.
While it was frustrating during the process, I actually *really* like these cards.  The picture does not do them justice since I took it in the fading light of evening.  That's another thing I want to incorporate into the craft room, a photography spot.

I have some questions, and I'm really hoping you guys will take a moment to answer.  A couple people have already offered to buy cards I've made.  I've kinda blown it off because I just wouldn't know how much to charge.  Greeting cards bought at the store can be ridiculously expensive, like easily $4.00 for a simple one, and even up to $7.00 (or more!) for fancier ones.  I've browsed Etsy a bit to see what people are charging.  I have no idea what I would charge for my cards.  So I'm asking all of you what your opinions are.  What you pay for a handmade card like this?  Or what sort of price range have you seen for such things?

I'm also wondering about single cards vs. sets.  I'm not wild about the idea of sets because what if someone absolutely loved the pink one above but was like 'Darn, I only want that one, not the set,' and decided not to buy any?  Hubby suggested making duplicates of things I would have in sets.  I suggested having all single cards but have deals on two or more, which lets the person pick their own 'set.'  What do you all think?

I really *really* would like to know your thoughts!

Other than that, not much to report today.  I took it easy, played with the kitties, and watched some true crime shows on TV when I wasn't playing Wizard101 or fumbling to make cards.  Tomorrow Casey takes his baby (Cinnamon) to the vet for the routine kitten exam and shots, and schedule his neutering.  I'm really curious to hear if the vet says anything about the weird eyes!

Okies, people.  I'm off to bed, and look forward to your thoughts on the questions I put out to you all.

4 comments:

  1. I love those unicorn cards. And pricing is a thing to think about. Especially since I am one who wants to buy them LOL! I would be willing to pay $5 each card and maybe a discount for buying more than a couple.

    Organization in crafting is huge. Otherwise it is a painful endeavor. You should treat yourself to a swivel chain for sure. Be comfortable and enjoy crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input about pricing! And yep, I know you're waiting to buy some. That's why I need to get busy. These unicorn ones will be up for grabs if it helps you get your shopping started.....lol

      Hubby was telling me that he thinks his friend is kinda crazy on pricing his eventual items. He's trying to factor in 'Well if it takes me three hours to make blah blah, at xyz amount per hour, plus materials yadda yadda...' So a bird feeder by his line of reasoning could end up costing like $100. Heh, really?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Personally, I go to the dollar store to buy cards. But if I needed one for a special occasion and I really liked it, I'd pay $5 for a hand made card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny because I also buy cards from Dollar Tree, or the super cheapies at Walmart. I've had to get away from the mindset of making these cards for personal use. lol I'm trying to just make them to be creative now, and hope someone out there will eventually want them. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete