Thursday, May 18, 2017

Read - The Sacrifice of Sunshine Girl

The Sacrifice of Sunshine Girl
by Paige McKenzie
2017
322 pages

'Is Sunshine Griffith who she thinks she is? Now that her luiseach powers are fully awakened, and having barely survived an abyss full of demons at the end of Book Two, Sunshine must figure out who-or what-has been organizing the forces of darkness against her.

Thanks to her brainiac boyfriend, Nolan, they not only unearth that Sunshine's death would trigger a calamitous event, but that all civilization depends on her survival. So when an unexpected event unleashes a fierce war between the luiseach and the demon army, Sunshine will learn a shocking truth about herself. Can she bring herself to make the ultimate sacrifice to save humankind?
'

*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

 (Read my review of the first book in this trilogy HERE.)
(Read my review of the second book in this trilogy HERE.)

When I noticed this book at Walmart recently I was like "Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten this was coming out!" and snatched it up immediately.  This is third and apparently final book, making this a trilogy instead of the series I'd thought it would be.  I'd seen this mentioned somewhere as 'the final installment,' but I don't see that stated anywhere on the book jacket and they did leave just enough little things open at the end of this to easily continue.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I enjoyed this book.  I like that it was shorter, not some 700 page beast.  It kept a decent pace and did not have a lot of extra side stories and complicated twists or filler.  The characters continue to be likeable because the author just lets them be, doesn't try too hard to force their personalities on the reader.  Things are quite to the point, and somewhat easy to figure out if you're paying attention but not so obvious that it bores you.  I did have some cranky moments though.

Sunshine is back in home after fleeing the training compound in Mexico to save someone at the end of the previous book.  Of course the full cast of characters has now assembled back in her new hometown as this story comes to a head.  Some are there to try and keep her safe.  Some are there to keeps tabs on her.  And some are there to do her harm.  Sunshine is apparently the key to some grand scale game changing plan in the battle between luiseach and demons.  Can they keep her safe long enough to come up with a plan of their own?

And that's where a lot of my squabbles come in.  If she is SO important that they've assembled all the best people to help guard her, set up schedules of 24/7 bodyguards, and whatnot, why are they always off doing other things and letting her roam around on her own?  Why are they letting her go to school and get back to normal?  And what the heck was all that about arranging for her best friend from her childhood hometown to stay living with her and transferring to her school?  I understand that the friend became a key pawn in the game but it was a weak way of going about it.  I also had a problem with the whole 'pentagram spell' in general.  If the mastermind behind it was THE most powerful demon ever, why didn't he just swoop in and nab her and kill her?  Why did there need to be this fancy spell, sixteen years to carry out, a complicated death every four years, leading up to this final battle?

I thought the big battle itself was a bit lacking but I was also glad that it wasn't some long drawn out thing.  Although it was rather short, it did pack quite a bit of emotion into it.

Although there were some demons possessing human events in this book, it wasn't really scary.  It certainly did not have the creepy factor that the first book had.  I didn't really expect it to though since we'd already learned back then what was really going on, what she was and what her powers were.  This book was more of her continuing to learn about her kind, their history, and about the challenge they were about to face . . . and why.

As mentioned, the book did leave just a few little things wide open for another book.  Part of me is hoping there will be another, and part of me will be happy if it really does end with this one because at least it's ending on a good note for me.  Far too often I get bored when a series drags on too long and I end up hating where the story goes.  This one was short and on point, and I appreciate that.

If you're looking for something quick to read with a bit of creepiness and some paranormal twists, I highly recommend this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment